Opposite the Church of Holy Salvation, next to the Pile Gates, is the magnificent fountain built by Onofrio della Cava. The fountain was greatly damaged in the earthquake and its beauty and functionality impaired. It was erected as a celebration of the completion of the new waterworks in 1438, which thus supplied the city with water from the Dubrovnik River, 12 kilometres away.
This fountain, with the beauty of its architecture and the gurgling of its clean water, was intended to preserve the memory of this significant technical and important feat. As a favourite meeting place for the city's youth, it entered into the decor, along with the Small Onofrio Fountain, in the Renaissance comedy "Novela od Stanca" by Marin Drzic, the greatest Dubrovnik comedy writer.