In between the Rector's Palace and the city bell tower is the City Council Palace, built in the 14th century. The palace was completely destroyed in a fire in 1816. Its facade was similar to today's appearance of the Sponza Palace. Later in the same location, the City Hall building was erected in 1882, and this today is the administrative centre of Dubrovnik. Also a part of this building are the Dubrovnik Theatre and the Gradska Kavana (city coffeehouse). It was possible to enter into the Great Council Palace from the Rector's Palace through an internal doorway. Above this doorway is an inscription, which has been preserved undamaged to the present day, and this inscription is well known for its great wisdom and patriotism: "Obliti privatorum publica curate" ("Forget private affairs, deal with state affairs").